Monday, January 10, 2011

Food-Guilt

Food-Guilt.

One word.

Something most physique competitors, and realistically, most people in general can relate to. Ever didn't eat a piece of cake because you felt fat? Ever didn't participate in a social function because of what they're serving to eat there? Ever eat something and right away once you're finished feel upset with yourself that you let yourself eat that??

ALL. THE. TIME.

Physique competitors take this food-guilt to the extreme. Most of the time, subconsciously. I am a perfectionist by nature, hold myself to very high standards, and am very hard on myself. This creates the PERFECT environment for food-guilt to harbor.

Luckily, I have found a wonderful "treatment" for this food-guilt. Your own mind, your own thoughts, and the positive things you say to yourself. Not until I started listening to my own body and controlling my own thoughts to positively reflect my future and current food choices, rather than negatively reflect my food choices through hindsite (when I could do nothing about what I already ate). Start eating what your body is made for. REAL food. Vegetables, fruits, lean meat, nuts (many people have to be careful with this ... nut butters are known in the physique world to be many peoples' weak spots), fat free greek yogurt/cottage cheese. Eat only when you're somewhat hungry. Eat slow. How many of you have ACTUALLY ENJOYED your food today? This week? Enjoy your food. Take your time to feel when you start to get full. Be done eating for the time being. Enjoy feeling light and satisfied, not stuffed and full of guilt. That guilt is your body and mind telling you that you didn't take the time to understand yourself. To live in the moment and enjoy each bite, while knowing you're putting yourself one step closer to achieving what you have set out for yourself to accomplish.

Everyone is looking for the "PERFECT" diet. Well folks, there isn't one. Listening to your body and learning what your body prefers is truly the magic "plan" for you. After LOTS of turtle steps, and finally some wonderful leaps and bounds, I'm really learning what my body likes, what it needs, and how it responds. If you need help finding out how your body responds, I'm MORE than happy to help. I'd love to get you started on your way to enjoying what you eat, feeling healthy and finally ... freeing yourself from FOOD-GUILT! You can do it, believe in your own strength - not enough people do!

3 comments:

  1. this blog post hits home for me. love it! happy to see you are back to blogging ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I especially needed it after looking at my teenagers Pringles for the last half hour. I did resist though!

    I can't wait to read more..I'm a new follower.
    Carli
    http://www.grandmasguidetolife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go! When I'm having a hard time resisting, I think about what's in that food I want. Sugar? Is it refined? Processed? My body is going to hate it and I'll feel like crap. Plus, lately, if I have something I REALLY wanted ... it doesn't even taste as good as I think it will! =]

    Keep rockin' ladies ... so glad to see I'm not the only one working on this! I'm glad to have you both following me!

    ReplyDelete